Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Groups Who at Roslyn Oxley9 - 19 January

Summer group show season continues at Roslyn Oxley today with their 'Groups Who' exhibit running until 4 February. So who is in this group ...

We liked the TV Moore photos, these were very bright and detailed c-prints of abstract paintings. It took a little while to work out they were actually photos (unless you are the type that instantly refers to the room sheet at every stop!). I was impressed by the price tag on the Rosalie Gascoigne works, $200k would give me a couple of decades collecting at my current rate so I'll let someone else pick up those recycled corrugated iron panels. I liked both Nell's contributions. We had neon on the mind so was interested to see you could get a piece for about $2.5k (if you move quickly, editions 4 and 5 go to $3.5k - I will really never understand edition pricing). Her big wooden ghost panel (213 x 228cm) was also pretty striking. Glenn Sorensen's works didn't grab my attention but the prices in euros certainly did (his weren't the only works not in AUD at this show). Now I realise that might conjure up some glamour to a prospective purchaser but to anyone with a passing interest in finance it says "wait, these will get cheaper"!! Last highlight was Imant Tiller's two contributions which were pretty difficult to separate (indeed called the path of luck, I and II).

Points, 3 to Nell's neon drip (above), quite a cool piece. I think it is similar to a piece in an office in Sydney that I have been meaning to go see. 2 to TV Moore for his 'Colour, Drunks and Ritalin' and 1 point to Nell's big ghost piece. These are growing on me the more I see them but my kids are dead set scared of them (which is why we ended up with the happy christmas ornaments she made, but that is another story ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment