Thursday, May 22, 2014

Chelsea Galleries & points - 22 May


So this is my 'catch all' post from the series of entries about my crawl around Chelsea last Thursday.  Dozens of galleries and I'll I've come away with is a fistful of room sheets and a pretty full photostream!    There are also a few cryptic notes on my iphone like 'Ed Paschke at Mary Boone.  Lehman Maupin'.  Now those are the sort of high quality notes to craft a cracker of a post.  Let's see what I can make of it.


First of all, how about the image selection.  I am learning from Richard Prince and leading with the naked chicks.  This work (Oubliette, top) is by rocker turned artist Aaron Nagel who is showing at Lyons Weir Gallery on W24th.  Too rude for instagram but not the Big Lamington.  Next up (above) is a image of the turning lotto machine installation at Andrea Rosen gallery by Mika Rottenberg.  This show 'Bowls Balls Souls Holes (Bingo)' was as random as random can get.  Firstly, just to get into the gallery you had to negotiate the spinning wall which, for me at least, recalled Batgirl's hideout.  Then inside the gallery there was all manner of random craziness.  Flipping pony tails (yes these were kinetic sculptures) and a video that played like an art world version of a Lost episode.  I want what Mika's having!


For those still wondering who Ed Paschke is, see the above image.  Love the really drenched colour of these works.  To me evocative of contemporary Australian artist Samuel Tupou.  Is Ed copying?  No, Ed's brown bread.  1939 to 2004.  These works were painted when he was 65.  This is going to sound slightly ageist but these works are so vibrant I nearly cannot believe they were painted by someone in their 60's.  Way to go Ed.  You'll be missed.  Now I like a good flag but sadly Luhring Augustine gallery was the best I could come up with (image below).  Tunga (I guess just the one name) has created a series of baffling installations that would require further studies in art history to appreciate and common sense to just dismiss as crap.  Sorra Tunga, maybe next time mate.


Other highlights were Walton Ford.  Not just at the Paul Kasmin gallery but even on a billboard high over 10th Avenue (image below).  Walton's style is like Audobon on crack and if I could draw better would be ripping off like no-ones business.  I keep trying to push Angus Fisher in this direction but he is keeping it scientific for now.


What else?  How about how there are so many branches of the same gallery chains in the same 'hood.  My notes say Mika was at Andrea Rosen but I also have Jose Lerma (whose Kirra Jamison'esque works are on mirrors, see pic below) listed for the same gallery.  Turns out they have two on the same street, just on opposite sides.  Cray cray.  I mean we have Michael Reid but not many other impressarios in Sydney.


Other highlights?  Well the entrance at Hauser and Wirth was pretty cool (see below).  This was by Martin Creed, called 'Work No. 1461'. 2 inch wide adhesive tape. Dimensions variable.  Of course. Better in my opinion than the work inside.  You'd think the Big Lamington would be a big fan of Big Art.  And I am but this place was just eerie.  The space is just so big that even the massive art of Sterling Ruby looked out of place in it.  Hauser took it out of me.  I was spent.  It also helps that they are on 18th street, so essentially the 10 block tour is done and you are now in the Meatpacking district.


But first, the points!  Tara Donovan is going to nab the 3 points for her acrylic untitled.  The highlight of the day.  I will give Walton Ford the 2 points.  Loved the Tiger and I loved Kasmin putting in a billboard for chrissakes.  1 point will go to Tomaselli for his mixed media works.  But mainly for his use of resin.  I love that material and need to start experimenting with it now I am back at base.

For more, see these links for Schnabel at Gagosian, Donovan at Pace, Shimomura at Flomenhaft, and Tomaselli at Cohan.  Oh if you are still interested to know what the Lehmann Maupin reference was, it is for Adriana Varejao.  It's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment