Thursday, May 22, 2014

Schnabel at Gagosian - 22 May


'Schnabel at Gagosian'.  I am not sure what else I need to say.  Jules must've got the memo re size week and he has contributed a couple of whoppers.  Seem totally appropriate amongst the cavernous spaces in Gagosian's Chelsea bunker but I have a inkling they'd look a little too big for most domestic spaces.


I don't really have a lot to say about these massive works.  I do like that he has confirmed some amateur psycho-pap I once read that said punters preferred bigger works to smaller, and those coloured red to others.  So you are on to a winner with big red works, like 'Los Patos del Buen Retiro III' above.  This 460 x 460 cm oil on velvet was probably my top pick.  I didn't really love any of the works in particular but I do love the renaissance man that is Julian Schnabel.  Art, sculpture, films (Basquait, Diving Bell & the Butterfly), furniture, interior design (he did the Gramercy Park Hotel where I took the Mrs before junior critic #1) and more.  He does it.  The below image is not his.  It is the Commissioner from Dept of Buildings obviously.  These signs are everywhere in NY and I love them.  This is Gagosian's Chelsea branch.  389 persons?  Can't they round that up to 390 or even 400?  Points here.

No comments:

Post a Comment